More Danish Women Get Their Periods From FOX News Than Any Other Source

Here is how ladies around the globe talk about their time of the month. Dissing other countries and referencing food seem to top the list. Also, Japan just officially became one giant Hello Kitty store.

• The Netherlands: “The tomato soup is overcooked”
  • Brazil: “I’m with Chico”
  • China: “Little Sister has come”
  • Many parts of Latin America: “Jenny has a red dress on”
  • Australia: “I’ve got the flags out”
  • Denmark: “There are Communists in the funhouse”
  • Ireland: “I’m wearing a jam rag”
  • England: “I’m flying the Japanese flag”
  • Japan: “Little Miss Strawberry”
  • France: “The English have arrived”
  • Germany: “The cranberry woman is coming”
  • Puerto Rico: “Did the rooster already sing?”
  • South Africa: “Granny’s stuck in traffic”
What to Call Your Period in Other Countries [The Gloss]

3:31 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Lalalalalalala I can’t hear you!!!!
* runs screaming from the lady parts aisle of the drug store *

Actually, I don’t have any problems with that most natural of cycles except that my smart ass persona is not appreciated nor tolerated at a certain time of the month.

3:39 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

I just received a visit from Aunt Flo.

3:42 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

What happened to “I got my letter this week”? That’s what my sisters always say.

3:42 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Please, no more entries — we have our Headline of the Week.

3:45 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@Tommmcatt Loves The Giant Floating Head: I prefer “It’s that time of the month.” It’s unambiguous and understated.

3:47 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

I am never eating cranberry again.

3:49 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@TJ/ Jamie Sommers /TJ: It’s a little too apt.

3:54 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Wonder how they say “crime scene sex” in Britain?

3:55 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@blogenfreude:

Back in the Eighties they just said “Downing Street” and left it at that.

3:56 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Wearing a jam rag sounds like one helluva party in your pants.

4:00 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010
4:34 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010
4:36 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Double recipe of this on the stove right now … freezes well, and goes great with meatballs – I’m slow-cooking it for 3 hours or so:

For the Soffrito:
2 TB Olive Oil
1 Medium onion, run through the food processor until fine, like a paste almost.
1 Shallot, same as the onion
2 Garlic cloves, same as the onion
1 Carrot, same as the onion
1 Celery stalk, same as the onion.
2 Bay leaves
¼ cup tomato paste

Run the onion and shallot through the food processor. Set aside. Run the carrot and celery through the food processor. The garlic can be pushed through a press.

In a large skillet heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion/shallot mixture. Stir for two minutes until the onions are sizzling. Add the garlic in a hot spot of the pan, as the aroma is released, stir into the onions so that the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the carrot/celery mixture. Stir together and cook for 4-6 minutes, until everything is starting to dry out. Lower heat to prevent burning, if necessary.

For the Sugo:
1 can (14 oz) of whole, peeled tomatoes, run through the food processor to form a thick sauce.
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
Salt/Pepper
1 Cinnamon stick
1 tsp dried thyme
Pinch or two of red pepper flakes

At this point in the soffrito, add the processed whole tomatoes and tomato sauce, broth, cinnamon stick, thyme, red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Allow pan to simmer for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes. I left the pan covered, but slightly ajar to allow the sugo to reduce.

4:40 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

“Jam rag,” leave it to the Irish to come up with the most brutal, nasty euphemism of all. They like those words like “snot” and “gob.”

Japanese flag, thats just too photographic, red circle in a field of white.

Whatever happened to “riding the cotton pony?

5:05 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

That’s it, I’m moving to Denmark.

5:31 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Clearly none of you are WASPs. I was raised in a WASP household and there were no euphemisms because it wasn’t discussed — period.

When I got my first period my mother handed me a “kit” and went back to her card game.

5:32 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@blogenfreude: Take pictures so I can see what it looks like plated. Please?

5:33 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

Have we made it this far without Mr. Garrison?

“I just don’t trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn’t die.”

5:37 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@karen marie: not making the meatballs until the weekend, but sure … I might even make fresh pasta. And seriously – you can’t go wrong w/ this sauce … cook sausage in it, cook meatballs in it, use it plain … wonderful. Slight bastardization of a Lydia Bastianich recipe, but endlessly useful.

7:10 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@flippin eck: Me too. If the rest of the country is anything like Copenhagen airport it will be too fab for words. Bang and Olufson with duty free.

8:33 pm • Monday • March 29, 2010

@karen marie: That was my experience as well. When I went to a new doctor and he wanted to know things like when maternal relatives went through menopause, I had no idea. It just wasn’t discussed.

4:01 am • Tuesday • March 30, 2010

I may have won headline of the week, but Bloggy should get something simply for choosing this post’s comments to write about tomato sauce.

7:22 am • Tuesday • March 30, 2010

@RomeGirl: I was surprised nobody pointed that out before you, RG. Fortunately it wasn’t followed by Chainsaw’s “Tuna Surprise”.

@Mistress Cynica: I learned about ladybits by reading through Pa Nabisco’s med journals. Never got “The Talk”.

9:19 am • Tuesday • March 30, 2010

i had my factory removed and replaced with a playground.

9:57 am • Tuesday • March 30, 2010