Stinque Recipe Challenge

It’s spring, so it’s got to be pesto. Such a simple recipe we should be able to do it in one film:

Quantities after the jump.

½ cup pine nuts (toasted in a nonstick pan)

3 cloves garlic

¾ cup (or a bit more) of freshly grated Parmesan or Romano (I like to use both)

¼ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. sugar

3 cups medium-packed basil leaves, washed and stemmed (you don’t have to stem the leaves, but I am a bit anal about my pesto)

¾ cup olive oil

10:42 pm • Saturday • April 14, 2012

” . . . I am a bit anal about my pesto . . . ” I note that the video is set to private.

11:09 pm • Saturday • April 14, 2012

@redmanlaw: I should set this nonsense on public? Perhaps …

3:33 am • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@blogenfreude: Unless you’re playing a meta gag about posting videos nobody can see, “public” is a reasonable option.

11:17 am • Sunday • April 15, 2012

I use walnuts in my pesto. They’re cheaper and, for me, they’re a standard pantry item, like flour & sugar.

Also, too, if you’re going to freeze your pesto, wait until you’re ready to use it to add the garlic. It totally loses its flavor with freezing.

P.S. The video is still private!

11:41 am • Sunday • April 15, 2012

Upon watching video – camera angle wrong, and I forgot to put last 1/4 cup of olive oil in (which I did later) – still pretty damn good pesto.

11:53 am • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@nojo: Thought I had it set to where only people w/ link could see … now they’re all public. You can watch my taxi ride to the shrink!

12:20 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

I think it’s pretty clear Afghanistan will always be a shithole … – we can’t fix it.

12:38 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

Hey! “Liar”? Really? I challenge you to a pesto duel!

12:42 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@karen marie has her eyes tight shut: You are the spawn of Satan. Small Italian grandmas would hold up a cross if you held up a walnut. What’s next? Cilantro pesto?

1:01 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@blogenfreude: Yeah, I’m not sure you want to pick a fight with my daddy.

1:39 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@blogenfreude: “With link” means direct URL to YouTube page. Doesn’t include embedding.

But you can set each video individually. The taxi ride can remain private.

2:52 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@nojo: Meh – we all live online at this point …

3:13 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

Should have said – variation on this recipe is throw some sundried tomatos in (and some of the oil they’re packed in) … delicious.

10:49 pm • Sunday • April 15, 2012

@blogenfreude: This would be perfect on the gnocci I bought at Trader Joe’s last weekend. And I’m in the pine-nuts-or-bust camp as well. Also, I made piperade (with a few changes) last week. Had it plain, over couscous, and over scrambled tofu. All were delicious.

12:46 pm • Saturday • May 26, 2012

Heading to the store now for ingredients. Joy of Cooking (doubling the recipe to match yours) calls for 3 cups basil, 4 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup pine nuts, 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, and 1 1/2 cups olive oil. No salt or sugar.

4:56 pm • Saturday • May 26, 2012

@mellbell: Verdict: Joy of Cooking calls for too much olive oil and not enough basil. Ended up adding 3 more cups basil and a skosh more olive oil (bringing the total to just under 2 cups) to blend.

5:10 pm • Saturday • May 26, 2012

@mellbell: I like to put a handful of spinach in with the basil when making pesto. And I would use way more than 4 cloves of garlic with 1 cup of olive oil, but that may be a personal preference.