The Entangled Soul of a Posthumanist Machine

Our Motherboards, Ourselves.

If you can’t make sense of our guest columnist, not to worry. We can’t either.

In the scope of my research, a feminist programming language is to be built around a non-normative paradigm that represents alternative ways of abstracting. The intent is to encourage and allow new ways of thinking about problems such that we can code using a feminist ideology.

To succinctly sum up my research thus far I will outline the decomposition of my question below:

The idea came about while discussing normative and feminist subject object theory. I realized that object oriented programmed reifies normative subject object theory. This led me to wonder what a feminist programming language would look like, one that might allow you to create entanglements (Karen Barad Posthumanist Performativity).

I realized that to program in a feminist way, one would ideally want to use a feminist programming language. So what is a feminist programming language? Well I took a look at the major programming paradigms, the following are the four main groups a programming language can fall into: imperative, functional, object-oriented, and logic. I decided to explore feminist logic such that a feminist programming language could be derived.

I am currently exploring feminist critiques of logic in hopes of outlining a working framework for the creation of a feminist programming language.

If this is something you are interested in and would like to give me some feedback on I would truly appreciate it. Thank you for any and all feedback. I would love to open up a dialogue about what I am working on and my approaches to answer my research question.

Feminism and Programming Languages [HASTAC, via Know Your Meme]

3:15 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

Sorry. The only jokes I can come up with are totally sexist and would piss JNOV off.

5:59 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

Well I have an idea about error codes.

If one does not pass the correct parameters to a process, it could be called a TERF error.

For those of you like me, who had NO idea what a TERF was, it’s an acronym for “Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist” The type of feminist that believes you can only be a woman if you are born with and XX chromosome pair.

Thankfully I have not encountered any of those folks yet. But does I have the bitters about it? Yeah, but I ain’t losing sleep over it. Their loss.

*And on an entirely different note, I am (Like QEII and Benedick) working on my Christmas message. I keep having to stop when I cry about all the kindness shown to me since I transtioned.*

7:06 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

@Jenny_F: That’s a new one on me — and I work with a public university where I usually hear these things early.

But since we’re Talking Geek, here’s a favorite from the comments:

I think this type of logic represents the feminist idea that something can be and not be without being a contradiction, that is a system where the following statement is not explosive: (p && ¬p) == 1.

Or, in more general logic: (True and Not True) equals True.

Because Identity is Patriarchal. I guess.

As it happens, something like this is actually the case in Quantum Mechanics, so you really need to Adjust Your Paradigms if you’re diving into that mess.

And, in turn, if you’re devising a program/language that deals with Quantum Mechanics, you have to allow for that.

But if instead you’re, oh, I dunno, programming a website, or an app, or a database — the kinds of things most programmers do — then you kinda want 1 to be different than -1, or you encounter the terminal error known as SNAFU.

Beyond that, create whatever ideologically informed language you’d like. And good fucking luck to whoever has to compile that shit.

7:42 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

Speaking of feminism, I am not above objectifying men, and neither is Kmart, apparently.

9:37 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

@mellbell: Just as an FYI, balls don’t actually ring like that.

11:40 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

So glad I passed on going for a Phil. PhD.

11:43 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

@blogenfreude: Piled Higher Deeper?

11:58 pm • Friday • December 20, 2013

@SanFranLefty: Reached the point where it was me against Being & Time, and I caved. Had read most of the important texts to that point. Heidegger broke me.

1:33 am • Saturday • December 21, 2013

@Tommmcatt Says Pull My Finger: The fuck? I’m sending this post to my kid. Who is sitting in the same room with me. So what?

1:49 am • Saturday • December 21, 2013

@JNOV: it’s good to see him, right?

1:54 am • Saturday • December 21, 2013

@Tommmcatt Says Pull My Finger: You have no idea. <3

4:56 pm • Tuesday • December 24, 2013

My wife has put up with me for 34 years, which defies all known systems of logic.