Anthony Bourdain, 1956-2018

CNN’s Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 [CNN]

10:48 am • Friday • June 8, 2018

I took a walk through this beautiful world
Felt the cool rain on my shoulders

I took a walk through this beautiful world
I felt the rain getting colder

11:09 am • Friday • June 8, 2018

Mr Cyn, who spent 20 years in the restaurant industry, woke me at 5 AM with the devastating news. If you eat out today, please tip generously. The staff will be hurting a lot.

12:07 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

National Suicide Hotline. They’ve helped me several times. You are not alone. 1-800-799-4889

12:17 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

His stance on Kissinger really provides new meaning to the old refrain, “And yet Henry Kissinger still walks the earth.” What a tragedy.

12:24 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

@mellbell: Or is it “stalks”? Hmm…

3:27 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

@mellbell: I vote “stalks.”

3:29 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

@Mistress Cynica: I saw the alert go off on my phone as I was trying to look up a song on Spotify while walking out of the train station this morning around 8 am my time. I was floored by it, and so was everyone who walked into the office.

3:29 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

@JNOV: Glad you are still with us <3

3:40 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

The news wrecked me for all the reasons Nojo describes on his next post. I used to go to Les Halles when I worked in NYC and he was just as he was on TV: funny, profane, took no shit, delighted in people enjoying food.

@JNOV: What rptrcub said.

8:22 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

@rptrcub, SanFranLefty and everyone here, thank you. My son thanks you. You’ve helped keep me here.

8:24 pm • Friday • June 8, 2018

Needed respite? The final episode of Sense8 is on Netflix. As with other episodes, there are some moments of pure joy.

10:24 am • Monday • June 11, 2018

@JNOV: We’re really lucky that the Wachowskis are on our side : )

5:38 pm • Monday • June 11, 2018

@JNOV: Half-hour joy, two hours confusion. The Wachowskis really know how to set up a premise, but once Keanu flies into the sky, things keep getting muddy.

10:15 pm • Monday • June 11, 2018

@nojo: I cried real tears once (not at the end). The Depeche Mode scenes thrilled me. A lot of it wasn’t so good. Okay, quite a bit was damn bad. The “These are the Bad People” behind the whole whatever was going on was superfluous. I’d be cool with pods fighting pods or having a dance off or whatever.

Have you been watching Westworld? No spoilers, I promise. The latest one was ten times better than Dances with Wolves. I love the music in that series. I still watch the opening, and I think they put an Asian twist on “Paint it Black.” I don’t like the original, but I loved the covers in that episode.

They pulled out the Radiohead (again), but “Heart Shaped Box” worked well.

10:15 pm • Monday • June 11, 2018

@¡Andrew!: Riiiiight!?

11:36 pm • Monday • June 11, 2018

@JNOV: Ah, Westworld.

For starters, I crank up the opening. Sorry, neighbors.

First season was masterful. Second season has been somewhat aimless, or at least sideways. Not disappointed as such, but they gave themselves a hard act to follow.

Last night. Fuck.