We’re Winning the War on Education

“There’s good news for American education. About three-quarters of residents — 74% — know the U.S. declared its independence from Great Britain in 1776. The bad news for the academic system — 26% do not. This 26% includes one-fifth who are unsure and 6% who thought the U.S. separated from another nation.” [Marist Poll]

11 Comments

Yeah, we’ve won the war on education. At this point education is paying reparations and starting youth hiking clubs. That’s how soundly we’ve trounced it.

Half the Brits can’t find France on a map. And the other half don’t want to.

I like the commenter there who theorizing that the 26% just have a “non-Eurocentric” view of history. Dude. That 26% and a hefty portion of the other 74% can neither define nor spell that term.

@Mistress Cynica:
Never underestimate the ability of people to rationalize and/or split hairs. “Yeah, I’m from Texas–our War of Indpendence was with Mexico. (Never my mind that my family came from New England.)”

Some fucking idiot douchebag got lost on his way to the Fox News studios and showed up on News Hour on PBS. He’s been going on and on for five minutes about how unemployment benefits need to be terminated so that people would have an “incentive” to get a job. The woman who was on to be his counterpoint reminded him that there is only one opening for every five officially unemployed people looking for a job. He said, “They need to face reality that their jobs are never coming back and they should be getting new training instead of sitting and collecting unemployment.”

The lowkey neutral anchor with the nice blue eyes (I forget his name) finally said to him, “You know you sound really cold, right?”

@SanFranLefty: I have a date with Gwen Ifill every Friday night!

@Dodgerblue: If it had been Gwen, she would have been giving him her “Bish, pleeze” eye. I always try to get to the gym in the evening every night to watch her. What’s the blue-eyed dude’s name?

Add a Comment
Please log in or register to post a comment