Sunday Night Lights Out

Dead Paul Harvey is one thing, but by general acclamation Oreos won the night.

11:53 am • Monday • February 4, 2013

/tech support/

So I won this sales contest thingy, and my employer is offering me a factory unlocked iPhone 5. I think that I could take it to Verizon, but I can’t figure out from their website how much it costs for service if I were to bring my own phone. I hate them slightly less than at&t, so I guess I would go with Verizon if it’s feasible. Has anyone else obtained service with an unlocked iPhone? How is it done (and how does one avoid getting royally screwed)? Gracias, amigos.

12:16 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@¡Andrew!: A quick check suggests the unlocked iPhone is GSM-only — AT&T or T-Mobile. And T-Mobile apparently doesn’t have LTE, which really rocks for speed. At least in Sandy Eggo. These things vary by region.

12:34 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@¡Andrew!: I have an unlocked 4S. I got the AT&T version which works in Europe. I use straighttalk as provider for phone and data: half the price of AT&T for the same service plus a slight amount of annoyance re getting the data hooked up. I can tell you how. This seems to be policy on Apple’s part, to make you use a service plan. I got the phone working fine in France but couldn’t get data.

AT&T service here is not as good as Verizon but, as noted, it’s half the price: I think I’m paying around $44 a month unlimited (kudos to Cyn for tip).

1:12 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@nojo & @Benedick: ¡Buenos tacos, muchachos! I’ll check it out.

3:35 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@¡Andrew!: OK, go to StraightTalk SIM cards, choose GSM unlocked, and enter your zip code. You’ll need the mini-SIM for the iPhone5. Unlimited talk, text, and data for $45. If you need to use the phone abroad, I can hook you up with a different SIM.

5:08 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@Mistress Cynica: I got an Orange SIM which, as noted, works great for phone but not data so I’d love to know what I should get next time I go to the land of cheese-eating surrender monkeys. I’m also thinking of switching the land-line to straight talk.

5:47 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@Mistress Cynica: Awesome, thanks! I have to decide if I want a phone or a teevee. First world problems. Love the iPhone, scared of the data plan costs for most carriers. It’s like buying a boat: “You’re not buying the boat, you’re buying the maintenance.”

7:27 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@¡Andrew!: The key is to use wifi for the phone most of the time. The only time I use cellular data is when I don’t have wifi available, and then I make sure not to download any major apps, videos, or images. I don’t use it to stream music or videos at all, because that’s not my thing. I have no trouble staying within the 1G minimum plan. No limits on data with StraightTalk.

@Benedick: I used the Passport Plus service from this outfit last time http://www.cisi.ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurchase/Sims. Worked better on the continent than in the UK. No reception at Heathrow at all.

8:08 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013

@Mistress Cynica: That is how I treat my iPad, which BTW I just replaced with the Retina display etc. I buy the cheapest cellular plan possible.

11:34 pm • Monday • February 4, 2013
7:53 am • Tuesday • February 5, 2013

@Mistress Cynica: Thanks for the link.

@¡Andrew!: Straighttalk is $45 per month data and cell. Which is not bad. About what Catt would spend on lube in a slow week.

1:15 pm • Tuesday • February 5, 2013

Gracias de nuevo a todos. I decided to choose the new teevee in order to replace my ten-year-old set. Plus, I love my current mobile carrier–Credo–so much that I can’t say goodbye. They’re just so freakin’ nice, and it would hurt their feelings (srsly).

1:44 pm • Tuesday • February 5, 2013

@Benedick: Why spend on lube when you can use bacon grease? Two birds with one stone.

2:00 pm • Tuesday • February 5, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: Why spend on lube when you can use bacon grease?

The American Midwest just turned totally gay.

2:33 pm • Tuesday • February 5, 2013