When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be a British Pig Executive

Our guest columnist challenges you to read its entire press release without snorting coffee.

A world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidable, says Britain’s National Pig Association. But British supermarkets can protect consumers from shortages and steep price rises if they pay Britain’s loss-making pig farmers a fair price, to help them remain in production.

New data shows the European Union pig herd is declining at a significant rate, and this is a trend that is being mirrored around the world. Pig farmers have been plunged into loss by high pig-feed costs, caused by the global failure of maize and soya harvests.

All main European pig-producing countries report shrinking sow herds. Falling numbers in the 12 months to June 2012 have been reported by Denmark (-2.3), Germany (-1.3), Ireland (-6.6), Spain (-2.8), France (-3.2), Italy (-13), Hungary (-5), the Netherlands (-3.6), Austria (-2.8), Poland (-9.6) and Sweden (-7.2).

“British supermarkets know they have to raise the price they pay Britain’s pig farmers or risk empty spaces on their shelves next year,” said NPA chairman Richard Longthorp. “But competition is so fierce in the high street at present, each is waiting for the other to move first.”

In its Save Our Bacon campaign, NPA is asking shoppers to make a point of selecting pork and bacon with the British independent Red Tractor logo, as an increase in demand for British product now may help persuade supermarkets to act before it is too late.

Sainsbury’s has increased the price it pays to a few of its pig farmer suppliers and NPA has welcomed this gesture. But it says the major supermarkets need to do much more, if they want to protect their customers from shortages and high prices next year.

British Pig Executive Mick Sloyan warned a private meeting of British and mainland Europe retailers at a Brussels summit yesterday that a fall of only 2 percent in slaughterings next year will cause prices to rise by 10 percent.

NPA believes slaughterings could fall by as much as 10 percent in the second half of next year, which indicates a doubling of the price of European pork and pork products. “If supermarkets act now, they can prevent this happening,” says NPA.

Europe’s pork and bacon supply is contracting fast [National Pig Association]

5:15 pm • Tuesday • September 25, 2012

Sorry. Can’t be amused. Pigs are reckoned to be about as intelligent as a three year old. Which puts them out ahead of most dogs (dachshunds) though not all (pugs). Cats are a different matter being mostly composed of spite and venom. How we bring animals like pigs into a life of torture is the issue. As feed prices rise farmers will kill off most of their animals to stay in business. There will be a glut then a famine.

I’m interested that Babe was such a successful film and yet my godson only eats bacon (an absolute dereliction of duty on the part of his parents who should be teaching him to eat tofu). What kind of cognitive dissonance does that bespeak? (there’s a word you never thought you’d see on a trash blog like this) Instead of worrying about the sanctity of marriage it might be more appropriate to worry about the lives of those animals who will show up as barbecue chunk shrink-wrapped packages at the Piggly-Wiggly.

If God made all aren’t we accountable?

5:31 pm • Tuesday • September 25, 2012
5:42 pm • Tuesday • September 25, 2012

@ManchuCandidate: Thank you for sharing. But that’s my point. You have no idea my agony as I face the task of making an omelet from local farm chickens. To eat an egg just laid is so divine I can’t become entirely vegan but I can get on my high horse and opinionate all over the place.

Dogs look up to us.
Cats look down at us.
Pigs is equal.

Limey saying.

Plus Sainsbury’s is a totally fabulous supermarket. We have nothing like it near New York.

7:38 pm • Tuesday • September 25, 2012

@Benedick: cooked w/ eggs warm from the hen once – nothing like it. And no, I cannot give up bacon, sausage, and the rest.

8:13 pm • Tuesday • September 25, 2012

They can have my bacon when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

10:29 pm • Tuesday • September 25, 2012

@blogenfreude: I bet you said that about sex.

9:11 pm • Wednesday • September 26, 2012

and what of Miss Piggy?
i’m as anxious to eat pig as i am anxious to try road kill.
of course i’m with Benedick, as always, in saying to you carnivores , EWWW
they know not what is civilized.
i am forbidden to eat it, which is the only Jewish thing i do …and by accident.
how about sheep? they’re dumb. do you feel better then about eating the little soft sweet baby lambs? just slide that mint sauce over and call it chops?
EWWWW.
quid pro quo, Clarisse

12:39 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@baked:
Hey, how you doing?

12:45 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

I guess Peggy won’t have to pay housewives to fight over canned ham anymore.

12:48 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@JNOV:
Nope… Mad Men meets Soylent Green

12:51 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@ManchuCandidate: Whoa. Good one!

12:58 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@ManchuCandidate: Help a sistah out.

I know I missed the last two (yeah, series finale) of Weeds.

I think I caught the season finale of Breaking Bad.

So, what’s next on the rotation? The Walking Dead or Mad Men? I’m confused by TMC/AMC.

7:05 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@JNOV:
Walking Dead in Oct (natch)

Mad Men early 2013?

Breaking Bad Final season 2013

7:35 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@ManchuCandidate:
hi sweety, thanks for asking. i’ve been lurking with the black dog’s teeth stuck in my ass, otherwise the same. xo

7:36 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@ManchuCandidate: @JNOV:
SUNDAY: DEXTER and HOMELAND.season openers MUST SEE TV showtime.

7:43 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

they have this dumb app (showtime) where you can talk to other people watching it. pffttt. …..so, uh…what do you think Deb will do?????!!!!!!!

7:45 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@baked:
The black dog can be hard to shake.

Been going through that a bit myself with this extremely long stretch of unemployment. Only way I’ve kept myself from strangling various HR people is to do things I’ve enjoyed doing to keep a fleeting sense of accomplishment.

7:52 am • Thursday • September 27, 2012

@ManchuCandidate:

yeah, i wanted to ask about the job hunt, but let it lay. you must be going crazy …it’s so boring not working too. i miss it. we’ve applied for a corporation permit here which may mean a work permit for me. fingers crossed and for you too. break a leg. i wish you success !!!!!