Somehow This Will All Be Obama’s Fault

U.S. American exceptionalism yet again.

[NYT: 12 Killed in Shooting at Colorado Theater]

9:49 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

Sadly, not all that exceptional.

What the fuck is wrong with people?

9:53 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

Wasn’t Wayne’s World set in Aurora, Illinois? Not that it really matters. What a senseless act of violence. Hopefully the late hour of the shooting means few (if any) of the victims were children.

10:23 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

I’ve always been fairly libertarian on the subject of gun control. I’m starting to change my mind. Two handguns and an assault weapon.

How many times does this have to happen? And the NEA has neutered Mr. Obama on this subject, made it a third rail.

And yes, I predict that the far right, which at this point is the entire right with the exception of George Will, will find a way to make this Obama’s fault. Probably by noon.

10:23 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

@mellbell: It was Colorado , I think.

10:49 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

@mellbell: Unfortunately, there were a number of kids there. According to the Denver Post, a 6 yr old is among the wounded, and witnesses report seeing a young girl (12-ish) killed.

10:56 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

@Tommmcatt May Just Have Some MJ In His System As Well, So What?: That’s where I came into this world as just a wee biscuit.

Obama’s fault? Limbaugh’s fault? All I know is that it replaces “Bain” with “Bane” in the headlines.

The mileage on your conspiracies may vary.

11:00 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

@Beggars Biscuit: Ha! My grandmother, grandfather, great-aunts and uncles all came from Aurora.

11:24 am • Friday • July 20, 2012

@Tommmcatt May Just Have Some MJ In His System As Well, So What?: Huh, I only met one other person with an Aurora connection, and it was another military brat*.

*Pops wasn’t career, so I’m not technically a military brat. He paid off college tuition with his stint in the AF.

11:47 am • Friday • July 20, 2012
12:08 pm • Friday • July 20, 2012

@Mistress Cynica: They were saying on CNN this morning that a 3 month old baby was injured, and lots of kids and teenagers were at the showing since it’s summer-time (and arguably can stay up later).

12:11 pm • Friday • July 20, 2012

Update per Grey Lady:

In a seven-minute speech in Fort Myers, Fla., Mr. Obama talked in highly personal ways about the tragedy. “My daughters go to the movies,” he said. “What if Malia and Sasha had been in the theater as so many of our kids do every day? Michele and I will be fortunate enough to hug our girls a little tighter tonight.”

He reflected on the fragility of life and the triviality of so much of what passes for daily existence, calling on the country to remember what really matters. “The people we lost in Aurora loved and were loved,” he said. “They were mothers and fathers, they were husbands and wives, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters, friends and neighbors. They had hopes for the future and they had dreams that were not yet fulfilled.”

He asked for a moment of silence and asked the crowd to “spend a little time thinking about the incredible blessings that God has given us.”

Both Mr. Obama and Mitt Romney, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, said they planned to pull television campaign advertisements in Colorado.

12:16 pm • Friday • July 20, 2012

@ManchuCandidate: One of those killed in Colorado narrowly escaped the Toronto shooting.

3:57 pm • Friday • July 20, 2012

@SanFranLefty: Same age as the shooter.

4:05 pm • Friday • July 20, 2012

71 people were shot in total.

71 human beings.

But apparently we can’t have bans on assault weapons because how would we be able to go squirrel-hunting.