Mitt Romney Invents Postmodern Etch-a-Sketch

“I’m not familiar precisely with exactly what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was.” —Mitt Romney, trapped in a cosmic vortex. [TPM]

6:53 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

And he reserves the right to take a completely different position tomorrow. Stay the hell off my rope line, you kids!

9:28 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

OT: if you haven’t seen the trailer for Prometheus (sort of an Alien prequel) go watch it. Looking forward to it as much as Dark Knight Rises. < /nerd >

10:08 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

OT from Sport:

There can be no question our country is in the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes. I also think there can be no question that it falls on us, the individuals, to find a way out of our own personal crisis.”

– Curt Schilling… Owner of 38-Studios and “beneficiary” of 110+ million of gubbiment largess.

10:09 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

@blogenfreude:
I’m looking forward to Dark Knight. Not so much Prometheus.

10:41 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

Must’ve been the caffeine talking.

@ManchuCandidate: What superhero movies have I missed so far this year?

Not superhero, but I liked Limitless. Also saw Donnie Darko for the first time. I’m kinda glad I missed it in 2001, not because I didn’t like it but because the trip down Memory Lane was awesome and led me on a YouTube hunt. The Girl Down Who Lives Down the Lane: Whoa.

(I’ve been sick.)

11:01 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

@I’m passing for white: Yes, but which version of Donnie Darko? The good one, or the one the filmmaker fucked up?

11:18 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

@nojo: Er. Uh. Um…Director’s cut or the one released in the theater? I think I saw the one that was in the theater–whatever is streaming on Netflix.

TJ/ Catch Independent Lens “Precious Knowledge” if you can.

11:49 pm • Thursday • May 17, 2012

@nojo: So, which is The Good One?

12:04 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@I’m passing for white: Theatrical version. Director’s Cut adds a lot of useless crud.

12:07 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@nojo: I read they did some song switcheroos, but I didn’t know that there was more.

1:13 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@I’m passing for white: I saw Donnie Darko: The Director’s Cut in the theatre. I think there might have been three other people there. I cried like a six-year-old girl at the end.

1:33 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@I’m passing for white: Did you find it “quirky”? That’s how it’s summed up at Netflix. Interestingly, the sequel – S. Darko: A Dannie Darko Tale – is “Dark, Quirky, Mind-bending.”

I won’t watch either of them because I don’t watch scary movies. My life is scary enough without introducing new scary ideas.

9:07 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@¡Andrew!: I think the original is on Netflix, and I loved the end. I might have felt like crying is if I cry. ;-) I found a few things really interesting, but no spoilers bc karen marie still has her eyes tight shut should check out the original.

@karen marie still has her eyes tight shut: I don’t know that “quirky” is what I’d call it. It’s kinda sci-fi, pretty funny in a Six Feet Under kind of way–you do and don’t want to be Donnie, like you do and don’t want to be Claire. Okay, you want to be Claire.

I rooted like hell for that kid, despite… It’s also interesting to see younger versions of the actors. Did you see Saved!? You’ll recognize someone from that movie.

It’s not scary. Sometimes creepy and quite suspenseful, but there are sci-fi vs. real world elements that make the creepy kinda plausible so it’s less creepy and a little more sad. The adults are a riot–all of them.

ADD: I heard the sequel sucked ass.

9:09 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@¡Andrew!: “Theatre”? Stop hanging with Bene.

10:49 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@blogenfreude: A must-see.

11:49 am • Friday • May 18, 2012

@I’m passing for white: Interesting factoids about the difference.

“Theater” apparently wasn’t the common American spelling until 1980. At my old work – heh- they used “Theatre” to denote a place where live performance happened, as opposed to a movie. This is what I was taught in grad school as well – though it may be that they were trying to force a change.

12:00 pm • Friday • May 18, 2012

‘Theatre’ is how we spell theatre. ‘Theater’ is how we spell Joe Papp.

3:30 pm • Friday • May 18, 2012

So, do you pronounce it “thee-AT-truh” with a guttural R? If not, “THEE-ah-tur” is spelled “theater.” So sez the Philadelphian.

Hoity toity toffs.