This One’s Running for Office Too

Can’t these people all be swept from office in one election cycle?

Rep. Steve King, one of the most staunchly conservative members of the House, was one of the few Republicans who did not strongly condemn Rep. Todd Akin Monday for his remarks regarding pregnancy and rape. King also signaled why — he might agree with parts of Akin’s assertion.

King told an Iowa reporter he’s never heard of a child getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest.

He can start here.

Rep. Steve King: I’ve Never Heard of a Girl Getting Pregnant from Rape or Incest [TPM]

6:13 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

Has King ever heard of partner rape?

6:42 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@mellbell: Partner rape isn’t legitimate.

6:50 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@nojo: Of course. But I wonder if King or Akin or any of these other bozos actually thinks that women with children conceived by partner rape routinely run around telling everyone they know how their little bundle of joy came into the world.

7:12 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@mellbell: Don’t know about you, but I can think back to heated arguments over whether marital rape was actually rape, because wives are chattel and “marital rape” is a logically impossible category. To folks like King and Akin, what you’re suggesting just doesn’t make sense.

In that respect…

Pete King is 68.

Todd Akin is 65.

And I’m a spry 53.

Welcome Back, Seventies.

7:28 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@nojo: I’m 61. Akin is from my parents’ generation.

7:32 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@Dodgerblue: My parents are pushing 80. They’re not that stupid.

8:04 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

I’m 71. Not everyone becomes a Rethuglican. Just those who stop thinking.

8:19 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@nojo: I can remember being the victim of marital rape when it was perfectly legal in Oklahoma. The knowledge that it was A-OK in the eyes of the law for my husband to do that to me was more degrading and dehumanizing than the sexual assault. It was hell trying to change that law in OK, because obvs, crazy women would make that stuff up to get back at their husbands.
I was arguing today with a 30-something woman in my office over whether or not women’s rights/abortion rights/etc. are going backwards. She had no idea that there were states passing laws restricting abortion. No idea. I will now go drown my despair in Oregon wine.

8:20 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

Okay, back to the top:

The point wasn’t that Old People are assholes. The point is that Old People remember this debate from a long time ago, and that Old People like King and Akin were on the wrong side of it.

And by “old”, I mean “Anybody who saw Batman on ABC, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8pm.”

8:26 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

@Mistress Cynica: To her credit, she lives in a world where that’s unthinkable. Would it were so.

9:00 pm • Tuesday • August 21, 2012

Grandma Bureau is 94. She can barely walk and talk. And she is ROYALLY TICKED at the GOP.