Rule One: Winning is for Losers

And you take psychology lessons to learn how to bullshit.Title: “Life Code: The New Rules for Winning in the Real World”

Author: Phil McGraw

Rank: 20

Blurb: “Edgy, controversial and sometimes irreverent, Dr. Phil again abandons convention to prepare you to claim what you deserve and claim it now. You take flying lessons to learn to fly, swimming lessons to learn to swim, and singing lessons to learn to sing. So, why not take winning lessons to learn to win?”

Review: “Back in the old days people were softer, more christian-like, caring, compassionate, giving and self-sacrificing. The world is totally different now and I agree with much of what Dr Phil says however I refuse to become like those who are tough and selfish in their ways. I do have a better understanding of how they operate and why they do what they do I am on to their game plans now because of Dr Phil’s wisdom and I realize he is a tough Virgo who is set in Virgoan ways and not as soft as other signs of the zodiac so I take his advice and apply it to myself gleaning the nuggets of wisdom within and absorbing them.”

Customers Also Bought: “The Power of the Pussy: Get What You Want From Men: Love, Respect, Commitment and More!” by Kara King

Footnote: As an even tougher Taurus, we’re perfectly happy letting others zero-sum their lives.

Life Code [Amazon]

Buy or Die [Stinque@Amazon Kickback Link]

8:46 am • Sunday • March 17, 2013

Hey Phil, we all can’t suck up to Oprah and get paid bajillions to give out stupid advice.*

*which I then mostly ignore from my parents who are fans of Dr Pill.

12:04 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

Classes on winning are being held on Belknap Campus (U of L) and other venues evenings between 7 and 11. Lace up your sneakers and bring your best game.

12:45 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

Just watched the LA Marathon from the comfort of my couch. A bunch of Kenyan guys and a Ukranian woman lead the field. A 40 year old US runner, a mom, came in 3rd for the women. Our Mayor, Smiley McZipperdown, greeted the winners.

1:34 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@Dodgerblue: I’m on my way down there now to watch a friend come in.

1:52 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

Give me 10 minutes with Dr. Phil or any of these self-improvement motherfuckers and I will have them standing on the ledge, ready to jump. I’m that good.

2:52 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: Try the King’s Head at 2nd and Santa Monica if some hydration is called for.

4:51 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@Dodgerblue: It was full. I wanted to sneak a pint out for my friend but I couldn’t get in.

6:19 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@blogenfreude: I’m joining holy orders.

6:32 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

Speaking of winning, NCAA March Madness teams have been announced.

Go get your Stinquing bracket going!

That means you, too, Benedick.

6:44 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@SanFranLefty: I’d like you to call me Father.

7:49 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@SanFranLefty: I’ve got UCLA to lose in the second round unless Bill Walton puts down the bong and decides to play again.

9:51 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@Benedick: Will Papa do? Mistress Cynica participates, you have no excuse.

@Dodgerblue: How the fuck did Uklah and San Diego State get higher seed numbers than Los Nojos de Eugene? Nonetheless, I didn’t let any West Coast sympathy blind me to get the Bruins past the second round. P.S. Waiting to see your picks.

Paging RML: Speaking of picks, I just picked your Lobos to make it to the Final Four, only to get crushed by Mellbell’s Louisville. I will probably change my bracket five more times or do what Libertarian Tool does and sign up a few more brackets.

/my alma maters (mati?) may not have any of their men’s teams in March Madness, but hurrah for the lady teams…if only Yahoo did a virtual tournie for the women’s NCAA.

9:57 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@Dodgerblue: Deena Kastor is a goddess among marathoners.

I did a 10k in Rangoon in January, and the two Kenyans who finished the full marathon did so in just a little more than twice my time.

@SanFranLefty: Patriot League representing again this year!

10:05 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@Beggars Biscuit: Bucknell isn’t going anywhere, sugar.

/let the trash-talking begin.

P.S. “I did a 10k in Rangoon in January” is such a tired pick-up line… ;-P

10:50 pm • Sunday • March 17, 2013

@SanFranLefty: I claim the magesterium of the handjobs since Peter. On the other hand (ha) I could see myself as Father Spanky.

12:12 am • Monday • March 18, 2013

@SanFranLefty: Because the Oregon uniforms make the people doing the seeding giggle and puke. Los Lobos have a pretty tough draw after they beat up the liberal elite from Boston; I’m not so sure they will make it out of the second round either.

12:23 am • Monday • March 18, 2013

@SanFranLefty: Mr Cyn proposed a fabulous new arbitrary system with no relationship whatsoever to the teams’ records. I can’t wait to try it out!

2:33 am • Monday • March 18, 2013

I used to choose by mascot — which one would win in a fight, and I usually throw a couple of underdogs in there. Today I just did it as quickly as I could. No second guessing; drag and drop.

12:40 pm • Monday • March 18, 2013

@SanFranLefty: @Dodgerblue: A second round exit is a proud Lobo tradition.

Fun fact: Our know-nothing knee jerk RW Gov. Susana Martinez was selected by Biden to attend the Pope’s installation this week. Wonder if they know that she is ineligible to receive communion. Some obscure rule about divorce, annulment, and marriage in the church.

@Mistress Cynica: I saw something about his philosophy based system or whatever the hell that was. I think only you, Nojo and Catt have a chance under that system.

4:05 pm • Monday • March 18, 2013

@SanFranLefty: It’s most fitting that we discuss our brackets in a post entitled Winning is for Losers. Following this logic, for once, I won’t be a loser.

5:40 pm • Monday • March 18, 2013

@redmanlaw: If I wrote a book called The Bracket as I found it, I should have to include a report on cribbing Nate’s selections, and should have to say which parts were subordinate to my judgment, and which were not, etc., this being a method of isolating the winner, or rather of showing that in an important sense there is no winner; for it alone could not be mentioned in that book.

The winner does not belong to the world: rather, it is a limit of the world.

5:47 pm • Monday • March 18, 2013

@redmanlaw: Or, if you prefer Later Wittgenstein: “Don’t think, but shoot!”