Baby Talk

Title: “The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think”

Authors: Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods

Rank: 72

Blurb: “Brian Hare’s stunning discovery is that when dogs domesticated themselves as early as 40,000 years ago they became far more like human infants than their wolf ancestors.”

Review: “I really don’t get ‘cat’ people.”

Customers Also Bought: “12 Piece Total Furniture Repair System”

Footnote: The infantilization of domesticated critters is not a new discovery. That said, cats have managed the transition while maintaining some degree of dignity. Or, depending how you regard it, spite.

The Genius of Dogs [Amazon]

Buy or Die [Stinque@Amazon Kickback Link]

8:01 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

as I so often say its never the dog, its always the owner.

and I do agree that 99% of dogs are waaaaaayyyyy smarter than their owners.

8:47 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

The pugs are doing well. They have now trained me to carry them up and down stairs; retrieve their toys; not to give them biscuits when they want pupperoni; etc. Personally I don’t think dogs evolved from wolves so much as from baby angel lambs. Their only shortcoming, so far as I can see, is that they don’t live long enough. I don’t wish to discuss how much I spent at the emergency after-hours animal hospital last night when the puppy developed a bad limp. And yes, I am now on my way to buy this book. Thank you for asking. Only downside is that it might cut into Angry Birds time (younger of the pugs a big fan) but I’m sure I can find a workaround.

8:54 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@Benedick: How’s the puppy?

Baby angel lambs?

@CaptHowdy: I saw some documentary (PBS?) where scientists traveled to a fox farm (sadness) in Rrrrrrrrusia. By the third generation, the foxes’ ears flopped, their coats were spotted, and they looked very little like their grandparents.

Yes, dogs are incredibly smart and wonderful.

Cats are non-conformists.

9:00 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@Benedick: Do not read the alt text.

9:04 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@JNOV:
que heartwarming story:
christmas day I went to the flashmarket – it was about 5 degrees, getting dark and starting to snow like hell, that was a blizzard day – and there was this cute little puppy bouncing around in the parking lot trying to make friends with everyone who pulled in to buy gas. I went inside and inquired about her. they said she had been dumped there that morning and were all miserable because none of them could take her home. but they had been feeding her all day from the grill. she looked like a tick about to pop. so of course I took her home. tried to find her a home for several weeks but she is still here. my dogs think she is the best squeek toy ever.

meet Little Shit

9:13 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@JNOV: Yes. Baby angel lambs. I’m so sorry. Which word isn’t clear?

Puppy is slightly better. It’s just a sprain. I was concerned she might have broken something. Besides my credit rating.

@CaptHowdy: She’s very cute.

9:34 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@Benedick:

anyone besides me watching Spartacus on Starz?

this weeks episode is guaranteed to make you moist with a gladiatorial bitch fight and make up fuck. DAAAY-um

9:36 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@JNOV:

they discussed the fox experiment in that interview. I like the idea that dogs basically domesticated themselves.

9:36 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@CaptHowdy: :-D

We have a quite smelly community cat. His person ditched him months before he (the person) was evicted. He (the cat) comes to visit me maybe every other day. I read the person the riot act when he came back looking for his other cat. Meet Baxter. His old name was “Moogie.” I don’t tend to change animals’ names, but “Moogie” is a bad name for a cat.

@Benedick: Hence the insurance question. Got it. Glad she’s on the mend. Your household seems cursed with extremity issues.

re: the alt text — how many dogs do you have now? Five? That’s the equivalent of three tapeworms, one Dracunculus medinensis and two candirú.

9:41 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@CaptHowdy: They’re smarter than us. Cats, too. Adult cats only meow at humans and mimic the sound of babies. They hold the key to our lizard brains.

9:55 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@JNOV:

that said
I would have picked a smarter looking dog for the cover of the book

10:00 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@CaptHowdy: Heh.

@Benedick: What’s this about me being planted in your yard? I would like a green burial, but not quite yet.

Are the pugs pissing on Carbon Offset Willow?

10:05 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@JNOV: I have a long-haired tuxedo cat named Baxter (for cowboy poet and former large animal veterinarian Baxter Black).

10:09 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@Mistress Cynica: XD! I named Baxter after the Meow Mix commercial. Sad.

10:28 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

Hey so are Downtown Abbey (I know) and The Walking Dead on at the same time?

10:38 am • Sunday • February 10, 2013

I’m bored, so I’m going to go do the accent challenge.

8:06 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

New Walking Dead coming. just enough time for a buzz

9:12 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@CaptHowdy: I’m waiting for the guy to deliver my joint as we speak.

9:43 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

Who’s up for Competitive Taxidermy?

10:26 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@nojo: How can you tell who wins?

10:31 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: If you’re stoned, it’s the one that talks to you first.

10:45 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

Elephant Talk!

These are words that start with a D this time!

11:49 pm • Sunday • February 10, 2013

This host on Talking Dead Is always impeccably dressed. And Keven Smith has turned into a hairy Budda.

1:01 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: I’m a regular listener of Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist podcast, but he can get annoyingly chipper with his hosting gigs.

7:31 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

Pope Palpatine resigns.

8:09 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@nojo:

Im ready
Im ready
Im ready

8:20 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@ManchuCandidate: …to spend more time with his family? Hm.

The last pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415. He had better reasons to quit, however, seeing has how he had to contend with both a competing Pope AND an Antipope.

9:29 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: @nojo: I had a massive crush on him back when he hosted Singled Out and then quickly lost track of his career, so seeing him on Talking Dead is slightly nostalgia-inducing.

11:00 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@matador1015: I nominate Jeremy Irons.

11:12 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

Where is the Pope Jokes thread?

11:37 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@matador1015: Damn, you beat me to it.

11:44 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@Dodgerblue: I’m full service around here and haven’t even finished my first cup of coffee.

11:47 am • Monday • February 11, 2013

@SanFranLefty: You are awesome.

12:54 pm • Monday • February 11, 2013

@BobCens: You have no idea.

10:18 pm • Monday • February 11, 2013

K you guys we’re like watching the Westminster Dog Show and pug 2 is like totally watching the TV. I’m like OMFG!!!She’s watching the dogs!!! On the TV!! Then she got kind of bored but then the pugs came on and she’s like woo hoo. It was so great. The dogs watching dogs on TV. Like people watching people on TV. General Hospital. Walking Dead. I’m so proud. Best in show. Then she went out to take a dump. Good times.