Beyond the Dog’s Arse

Title: “Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle”

Author: The Countess of Carnarvon

Rank: 35

Blurb: “Much like her Masterpiece Classic counterpart, Lady Almina was the daughter of a wealthy industrialist, Alfred de Rothschild, who married his daughter off at a young age, her dowry serving as the crucial link in the effort to preserve the Earl of Carnarvon’s ancestral home.”

Review: “I think the other reviewer’s review is off the mark and it’s duplicitous of ‘William’ not to mention is that he is the author of a self-published bio of Lady Almina.”

Customers Also Bought: “Snobs”, by Julian Fellowes

Footnote: We were just looking for an excuse to post the video.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey [Amazon]

Buy or Die [Stinque@Amazon Kickback Link]

[Video via parislemon]

12:31 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

I saw a show about the real occupants of Highclere. Lady Almina’s husband was one of the ones who found King Tut’s tomb.

1:47 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

@TJ/ Jamie Sommers /TJ: Where’d you see it?

Oh, so Matthew married that bitch?

1:48 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

These were real people? That’s fucking scary.

2:16 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

Every time I go to Netflix to stream season 1 I get sidetracked …. Am I missing something?

3:39 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

I think they need to spring Mr. Bates from gaol this season. They’ve pushed that subplot about as far as it can go.

8:59 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

@Dodgerblue: I think every criminal defense attorney should spell jail as gaol. Makes it sound more Dickensian.

11:51 pm • Sunday • January 27, 2013

@JNOV: I can’t believe she married the wet blanket.

6:50 am • Monday • January 28, 2013

I hope they all die of food poisoning. They are the Romneys with better clothes and worse politics.

As spellings go ‘gaol’ always perplexed me. But I refuse to write checks instead of cheques.

9:19 am • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Benedick: Colour me impressed

ADD: what is this Downtown Abbey thing, anyway? Or is it a non-thing? I need to put down my newspaper.

12:09 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Benedick: The Earl needs to get the stick out of his ass, pronto.

12:45 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@flypaper: Upstairs, Downstairs. But in a castle. Featuring a dog’s arse.

1:14 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@nojo: A telenovela without the cleavage.

3:25 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Dodgerblue: and the sexy guys.

3:53 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: Everybody has cleavage. Smoldering eyes. Hair tossing. Erotic tension on 10. You want sublety and nuance, go see Ibsen. You’re home sick and want some amusement, find a telenovela. You don’t need to know Spanish to figure out what’s going on.

5:08 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Dodgerblue: Ibsen? Subtlety and nuance?

Act 1, sc i: Enter a maid, dusting; she muses aloud: Beyond the curtains the fjords are cloaked in somber clouds that threaten rain.

Maid: Goodness me. It must be ten years since Little Eyolf fell off the dining room table thereby causing irreperable damage to his spine, an accident for which his father Pastor Grimschmuck, that good man, cannot forgive himself since he was inebriated with the schnapps he bought while in the neighboring town visiting Doctor Stranque. How happy we all were here in Northrupp-Grummstranger! How the summers seemed to last till winter! How well I remember the merry dances on the lawn! (She tries out some dance steps before reaching up to dust the moose head mounted on the wall above a PAIR OF PISTOLS.) Though many somber days have passed since that fateful morn still the good Pastor cannot forget. If only Mrs Grimschmuck, his wife, wasn’t so moody… But hark! I hear footsteps! Climp-clump. Climp-clump. Little Eyeolf himself approaches! Poor young man! How my heart goes out to him! (She hurries out as the door opens to reveal…)

But I get your point.

Plus, the Earl cannot get the stick out of his arse. He’s English, donchaknow. It kind of goes with the territry.

5:29 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Dodgerblue: Have you ever watched Fillipino soap operas? Same deal, except they speak in a patois that is about 50% English.

5:32 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Benedick: You have to read between the lines to find the subtlety. An Enemy of the People was entirely about travel to Mars, for example. If you apply post-structuralism. Such as.

Subtext is everything.

6:01 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@JNOV: PBS, I think. If memory serves, it came right before this season started.

ADD: Found it.

6:08 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Tommmcatt Can’t Believe He Ate The Whole Thing: I admit to a weakness for Jon Gabriel Bjorkmann. I get hot for that the way some around here get hot for Batman: The Dark Knight Rises And Such As.

8:29 pm • Monday • January 28, 2013

@Benedick: I would be asleep before scene ii unless she fired the pistols.