As Long As I Can Keep The Coins

“That pledge says ‘under God.’ I will not take God out of our platform. I will not take God off our coins. And I will not take God out of my heart.” —Mitt Romney, appearing on stage with 9/11 God’s Truther Pat Robertson. [Buzzfeed, via Political Wire]

4:32 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

Team Obama responds to God Coins: “It’s disappointing to see Mitt Romney try to throw a Hail Mary.”

If that’s intentional, it’s brilliant. If it’s accidental, it’s sublime.

5:10 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@nojo: I don’t understand.

5:21 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@nojo: The expression relates to Sport, but it’s literally Catholic. So, Mitt invoking God is a Hail Mary. Language doesn’t get more fun than that.

6:15 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

I still don’t understand. I understand Sport (aspects of). A Hail Mary pass. Though I have no idea what that means. Something to do with something done with something no one expected and that made something happen? And the Catholic thing, of course. Even I know the BVM. And where babies come from. But I don’t understand the response. Or your reaction to it.

6:33 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@Benedick: Mormons aren’t persuaded of the near-divinity of Mary is my take on it, so this is just another reminder to Catholics that they’d be voting for a heathen if they vote for Romney. Or that, at any rate, is my understanding of Nojo’s glee.

6:44 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@lynnlightfoot: Who is writing for Team Romney? Harold Bloom? Isn’t this election bad enough but we must suffer through in jokes about St Augustine?

Speaking of which: Mormon scholar = gay ladies’ man?

6:57 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

Simply put: Mitt is overplaying his piety; “Throwing a Hail Mary” is a casual expression. But to use “Hail Mary” in a response to God-pandering is brilliant.

And then you get the Evangelical – Catholic – Mormon resonance on top of that: three groups with historically deep suspicions about each other. But that’s just bonus points.

7:10 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

You know… if it’s OK for Mitt Romney to imply that Barack Obama would remove references to God from our coinage, I think it’s legitimate to ask Romney to pledge that he would never seek to add references to Joseph Smith to our coinage. When you “go there” you “go there” too.

7:48 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

Hang on… wait a minute… Don’t Mormons grow up to be gods and fertilise/establish new worlds?

So does Mitt-Bot want his face on the the moniez?

9:31 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

FWIW, even the socialist Sandinistas kept “en Dios confiamos” on their coins. Precisely the language Romney wants to keep on ours.

Does that mean Mitt is a secret Central American revolutionary?

Just sayin

9:31 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@Benedick: This is the very definition of a Hail Mary pass. Skip to 1:40 if you don’t want to hear the back story.

10:04 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@blogenfreude: OK. I get that. We were all so very happy.

But I have no idea what the response means. Not a clue. Maybe all the cheap gay sex has fried my brains. But if that’s the case how is that Catt can still even type?

10:15 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@Benedick: Usually Hail Mary passes fail – almost always in fact. An act of desperation.

11:13 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@Benedick: It’s like trying to buttsecks the dance captain when you’re ten pounds overweight and having a bad hair day.

It probably won’t happen but what the hell, you’re going home alone anyway.

11:15 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@Benedick: I’ve developed a system: my hands type and the little head drives.

It’s worked with everything else.

11:52 pm • Saturday • September 8, 2012

@Tommmcatt May Just Have Some MJ In His System As Well, So What?: “my hands type and the little head drives.”

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Stinque tag-line.

@nojo: Nothing is accidental with Team Unicorn. They knew what they were doing.

12:44 am • Sunday • September 9, 2012

@SanFranLefty: This site has taken the No Texting While Little-Head Driving Pledge, and cannot assent.

8:46 am • Sunday • September 9, 2012

I thank you all for your efforts but I still don’t understand.

8:39 pm • Sunday • September 9, 2012

@Benedick: Let me take a stab at it.

A Hail Mary pass is when you throw the ball because there is nothing else you can do to save the situation and you pray that it works.

1:56 pm • Monday • September 10, 2012

@Benedick: Me either, as it turns out. I thought maybe I understood. I now realize that I never understood and will never understand, but since it has to do with God and football and Roman Catholicism, none of which do I understand or feel drawn to (to be mealy-mouthed about my feelings about all three), I don’t give a damn.

9:51 pm • Monday • September 10, 2012

@nojo: What you said. If any of Team Obama are ex-mormons (quite likely) then it’s an amazingly coded snipe. TCOJCOLDS calls the Catholic Church The Great and Abominable Church.